CD: Soler and Scarlatti in London, Performed by Luisa Morales
CD: Soler and Scarlatti in London: A Selection of Blended Sonatas, performed by Luisa Morales
Luisa Morales (Almeria, Spain), a specialist in Spanish keyboard music and founding director of FIMTE, the International Festival of Spanish Keyboard Music.
This CD features the Museum's harpsichord by Joseph Kirckman, London, 1798. Double manual, FF-f3 (5 octaves); 2 x 8', 1 x 4', lute, buff. Six hand stops. Two pedals: machine stop, Venetian swell. Rawlins Fund, 1983. NMM 3328.
Recorded at the NMM on July 11-12, 2004. Almeria, Spain: FIMTE, 2006. Duration: 64' 21"
"Did Domenico Scarlatti or Antonio Soler ever visit London? While history does not recall this with any certainty, the presence and impact of their music on that city is beyond debate. In fact, the sonatas of both composers were first published in London where their influence among music enthusiasts remains largely undiminished to this day. The choice of a Kirckman harpsichord with machine stop for this recording is by no means coincidental. The instrument played herein is one of the few extant historical harpsichords capable of approximating the rich variety of tone-colors and modes of expression available to Scarlatti and Soler." (CD liner notes by Luisa Morales)
Track List (click links below to hear MP3 excerpts):1. Domenico Scarlatti (1685-1757): Fandango (attributed)
2. Scarlatti: Sonata in D Major, K. 96
3. Antonio Soler (1729-1783): Sonata in D Major, R. 74
4. Soler: Sonata in D Major, R. 84
5. Scarlatti: Sonata in A Major, K. 322
6. Scarlatti: Sonata in A Major, K. 24
7. Scarlatti: Sonata in A minor, K. 54
8. Scarlatti: Sonata in C Major, K. 513
9. Scarlatti: Sonata in F Major, K. 107
10. Soler: Sonata in D minor, R. 24
11. Soler: Sonata in D minor, R. 15
12. Scarlatti: Sonata in G minor, K. 234
13. Scarlatti: Sonata in B minor, K. 376
14. Scarlatti: Sonata in E Major, K. 380
15. Soler: Sonata in D-flat Major, R. 88
16. Soler: Sonata in Dorian Mode, R. 49